Monday, August 2, 2010

Powerful Point!

My favorite part of the presentations was the passion each person demonstrated for their topic. For example, Marc's dynamic demonstration of tennis serves created an emotional connection to the material. Maya's sharing of personal experiences brought Espanol to us. And Peter's incorporation of our class passions, legal pad and the sad trombone, instantly enraptured me.

My attention wavered when faced with slides devoid of pictures, or slides that consisted of a substantial amount of unspaced text on a simple background. I see Powerpoint as a means of organizing talking points, not communicating paragraphs. If I find myself divulging blocks of information, I create multiple slides to break up the thought.

I fear that the text in my slides was lost in the busy-ness of some of the pictures. I would make sure that I choose my pictures very wisely, as to maximize the ability to create highly contrasted text. Also, I would choose a topic that actually relates to science, OR I would narrow my topic to a 5-minute celebration of foods wearing hats.

I LOVE Powerpoint. Powerpoint is an excellent means of organizing ideas, conveying information visually, and a great way to manage time during presentations. The greatest fault of Powerpoint is that the presentations are a reflection of the work that goes into creating the presentations, so a presentation that is devoid of creativity or inspiration will not engage the audience. Powerpoint is a great tool if it used wisely and effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment