Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cyberbullying

The STOP Cyberbullying website defines cyberbullying as using online media to threaten, harass, humiliate, or otherwise target a child, pre-teen or teenager. I took the STOP Cyberbullying quiz to gain perspective on where I stand in the online realm, and realized, OH NO!, I was once a perpetrator of cyberbullying. One of my Sailors left his email account open, and I took a few liberties with the access...I won't go into detail (you would be surprised how magnificently the written language centers of your brain can function after being fueled by fresh salt air), but I feel like a complete jerk for how I acted in that situation. Perhaps the fact that he offered to build me a water/electricity hookup in his front yard in Kentucky if I ever buy an RV will ease my troubled soul.

The problem that schools face is that the effects of cyberbullying must be incredibly pervasive to warrant intervention. "Tinker v. Des Moines Independent
Community School District
(1969) provides that a school may only restrict student speech that causes a substantial and material disruption of school activities because students do not shed their constitutional rights, including their right to free speech, at the schoolhouse gate." (Taylor, 2008) Thus, according to Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District (1969), social disruption and emotional disruption are not compelling enough to intervene in students' online lives; instruction, content, and school life itself must be impacted before measures will be taken to dissipate cyber issues.

I think that the root of cyberbullying is much deeper than jaded comments posted on social networking sites. In my most optimistic voice, I will say that we must strive to instill a sense of self-worth and value in our students, as to eliminate the need to cyberbully in the first place. In a perfect world, where self-esteem ran rampant, the need to regulate cyberbullying would dwindle as self-images blossomed, and schools would be leading students toward cyber lives that did not necessitate negativity.

Back to reality: how will I deal with cyberbullying in my classroom? I will utilize technology extensively in my assignments, building a cohesive electronic community, in which my students are called upon to utilize cyberspace etiquette. If the proper way to use resources is taught and modeled, students will have the tools to resist/deter/conquer cyberbullying, and progress toward becoming better cyber citizens.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right in thinking that we need to help build a students self worth so that if the bullying occurs, they can handle it, or not worry about it! I think about this constantly and try my best to do that! My parents helped me with my self worth, but a lot of parents don't do this anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I absolutely agree with you that educators must not maintain a passive stance on cyberbullying. As Nancy E. Willard, one author of the point/counterpoint article written on cyberbullying, mentioned, cyberbullying can affect the social well-being of students, which can have a direct effect on school performance. It is clear that education suffers because of it then, and therefore it is in our hands to do something. I don't believe that schools and educators can be held solely responsible, but it is within reason, certainly, to expect that we promote self worth and well-being at the very least in order to provide healthy response feedback when such offenses are experienced.

    --Maya

    ReplyDelete