Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Technology: Let's get Ubiquitous!

My overarching goal as I enter the classroom is to help my students become successful human beings. We have been exploring our role as moral educators, but one facet of our responsibility as teachers is much more tangible: we must prepare our students to be employable and viable in tomorrow's job market. "Our students will most likely obtain jobs we cannot even imagine. In 1992, the U.S. Department of Labor's SCANS report noted that at least 80% of all jobs in the next two decades would require workers to be technologically fluent. This means if workers are not well prepared in using technology to succeed in the workplace, they will be forced to take low-paying jobs with limited potential for advancement." (Swain & Edyburn, 2007) We are nearing the end to of the two decades mentioned in 1992, and witnessing the reality of the forecast: many (of course, not all) lucrative jobs reside in realms that require extensive technological expertise and training. Thus, I will be doing a disservice to my students if I exclude technology from my curriculum. I will strive to create fluent technology natives whose opportunities are not bound by limited technological knowledge.



I see the challenge of overcoming technological access issues being a matter of logistics and asking permission. "...you can find out discreetly which of your students do and do not have access to computers and the Internet at home and then point those who lack these resources to places in the community where they can turn to gain better access (e.g. public library, community technology center, Boys and Girls Club)." (Swain & Edyburn, 2007) I took classes at Portland Community College for a year and a half before entering Concordia, and witnessed the incredible connectivity available on college campuses. Considering PCC and Concordia have large classrooms equipped with MANY computer stations, I will likely contact colleges that are proximal to my school and request the use of their services for class sessions, and for proctored after-school sessions. I am probably a raging bleeding heart liberal when I see education, and all the components that facilitate the best education, as a basic human right, but I will exploit my optimism to the fullest extent if it will help my students.


This is a bleeding heart! In Duluth!

Using technology in the classroom, even if students do not have congruent outside access, if my responsibility. It is also my responsibility to broaden the access of all of my students, until we approach technological ubiquity. Swain & Edyburn speak of the availability of discounted computers and open-source software (2007); I will do my best to put technology into the hands of all of my students, to create the best futures possible. FreeGeek, here I come!

2 comments:

  1. You are on the right track and understand the "duty" of us teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your enthusiasm for making sure students have all the opportunities possible for using technology! It is so true that it is our responsibility as teachers to make sure all students become introduced to the unlimited resources technology offers us these days. I have faith that you will be successful in being able to reach every one of your students in some manner, be it providing them with extra time in a computer lab or even sacraficing your time and own technological possessions.

    ReplyDelete